I'm New

PostSubject: Re: The sad truth of PC vs MAC   June 11th 2008, 4:05 pm

GoSco wrote:
Depends really.

Offices Use Windows
Professionals Use Macs (Designers, ect)
Operations use Linux (FBI, ect)

Different things for different needs.

Please forgive me for moving the rock on this topic, but I have something useful to add from my own personal observations.

Professionals use Windows (Being one, who deals with others -though some artists like mac). The dominant server market currently is Windows Server 2003 in the business world (I also run a small systems administration business). Web hosts use a lot of Linux (inexpensive and easily maintained) but many also offer Windows Server hosting.

The rundown on professional artists (3D/and Photoshop) from my perspective is PC. Why? it boils down to the hardware. Rendering cards for example. 3D Labs, nVidia Quadro, etc.... CPU's.... Quad core Intel, Quad core Xeon for multiprocessor systems (servers as well), and in slightly older systems like mine, AMD Opteron Multiprocessor (2x 285's in my desktop). Don't get me started on cost... Desktops vs. the same, etc.

Now keep in mind that I am not anti-Mac. I have had great success getting things rolling via cross-platform, in that Mac's working from a Windows server, etc. The artists/professionals who use them in the many businesses I have worked for in the past and present use them because they are a personal preference. The most I have seen in an average company of 50-80 workstations is about 2-3 machines. And they all have a PC at their desk as well for one reason or another.

Again, sorry for "raising the dead on this thread." -Rhyme not intended.
View user profile
altas

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: The sad truth of PC vs MAC   June 15th 2008, 1:42 am

Well, let see how MS will pass through with new Windows 7. They deserve to "die". No offense, but I gave a piece of s*** money for two Ultimate Windows Vista! Yes it is, it works for all day jobs, but (always is here but) sometimes (usually than sometimes) my Windows crash and make me nervous and left my work on a half way done.
Mac OS X? No problem. Especially for design jobs. Never had a problem and headache.
View user profile
SbuxBlaze

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: The sad truth of PC vs MAC   June 15th 2008, 1:53 am

Windows 7 is gonna be a piece of sh** imo, so far it looks exactly like vista and just has minor updates/multi touch (why is this even needed?).

Microsoft should start listening to what people want! When people demanded IE8 to follow web standards they replied with "it would break the web"

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: The sad truth of PC vs MAC   June 15th 2008, 2:16 pm

I do know for a fact that they are moving to the Windows Server 2008 Kernel and leaving the older Vista Kernel out of it this time. They are actually aware that customers were let down a lot by Vista.

I also think Vista is what happens when a company has too much time developing something. Look how long it took them to produce Vista (5 years in development) vs. Windows XP (2 years, though based primarily on the 2000 Kernel). Knowing their process first hand (I worked for the evil empire a while back for several years), I would say their best work is usually produced under tighter deadlines.

What ticks me off more than anything is when the "over fluffify" things or make things overly stupid people friendly and too light and shiny. They need to work in a balanced way of thinking, in a way that will satisfy both new and current users, giving them the ability to turn features on and off for themselves instead of forcing them to do everything a new and seemingly tedious way.
View user profile
chris3d

PostSubject: Re: The sad truth of PC vs MAC   June 15th 2008, 10:45 pm

( )vertkill wrote:
They are actually aware that customers were let down a lot by Vista.

I would sure hope so. Doesn't get much more obvious than this.

I agree with you though, they need to create a balance and set (and stick to!) shorter deadlines. I'll believe the 3 years for Seven when I see it ship. I will hopefully get to take Win 7 for a test drive later this summer when I go up to Redmond for a visit smile
View user profile
( )vertkill

I'm New
I'm New

PostSubject: Re: The sad truth of PC vs MAC   June 16th 2008, 3:23 pm

For sure. That would be cool. Though from what I understand (heard from a few people I know that still work for them) that they are trying to keep Windows 7 under raps quite a bit more than its predecessors.

To coin a phrase, I hope they don't screw the pooch on this one. smile
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The sad truth of PC vs MAC   

The sad truth of PC vs MAC

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galaxy GUI :: Tech Related :: Software -
RSS Feed  

Topic and post times are displayed in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) for guests
Go to Top · Contact Us · Privacy Policy · Terms of Use

Creative Commons 3.0 License. Last update: February 29, 2012
All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners

Forumotion.com | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum